Friday, August 5, 2011

PERSPECTIVE: Amber & Lindsay's Wedding

Benjamin Luk Photography
(Amber and Lindsay chose to signify their vows by quite literally tying the knot. © 2011 Benjamin Luk.)

Amber and Lindsay are an unconventional couple, not because they were entering into a same-sex union, but because their love of all things weird and geeky led them to throw a wedding with references to Final Fantasy, Charlie the Unicorn, and Lord of the Rings. In one of my first meetings with them, they told me upfront that if I wanted reference images to see what they were going for, I should look up The Tudors. I think it was that moment I knew that I loved these guys, and also that I'd add to the event by coaxing assistant Jonathan Evans and intern Lauren Mulcahy into showing up in full medieval costume.

blp_amberlindsay400-451
(Amber and Lindsay with their decked-out wedding party. © 2011 Benjamin Luk.)

On the day, as the schedule ran long (as is not uncommon with weddings), we came to face some difficult decisions about the direction of the wedding photography. With the light quickly fading, did we want to capture the conventional wedding portraits, or did we want to embrace an edgier, more Tudors-esque mentality? Did we want more shots of Amber and Lindsay kissing and holding each other, or did we want to bust out the swords? I think we all know what happened here. These aren't your typical wedding shots, but we never intended them to be. With Tyler Branston's expert post-production help as I dive headfirst into the 2011 wedding season, I'm proud to say we can stand behind our work, difficulties and conventionality be damned. I hope you like what you see.

blp_amberlindsay400-346
(Amber with her dad and great-grandmother. © 2011 Benjamin Luk.)

Benjamin Luk Photography is available for assignment at BenjaminLuk.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment